Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soft plastic hybrids
02-19-2020, 03:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2020, 04:12 PM by SENKOSAM.)
soft plastic hybrids
Not sure it anyone will read this post, but I have a passion for discovering new lure designs or modifications that I test in the waters I fish. It's satisfying when fish bite these and usually do, adding to my collection. A box cutter razor or scissors, candle and battery powered soldering iron* are the tools used to join parts of lures together and sometimes just to downsize. A photo site I store all photos is IMGUR.com.; copies are stored in folders on my pc and on memory sticks. Lure parts used are also from injection mold pours. (*the soldering iron is used to smooth the weld joint.)

I always take photos of the lures and the fish they catch in the same picture as a reminder they work and as a source for new hybrid ideas. Here are a few:

This is proof that part or all of the lure can be clear plastic. Note the different species caught on the same lure for all mods.
[Image: rq1wYAN.jpg][Image: hGBdgrH.jpg][Image: VDhsgKS.jpg][Image: KJchfFp.jpg?2][Image: AKwomrm.jpg?1][Image: FZJuG5F.jpg?1]
(note the nobby tail)

two grub bodies minus curl tails:
[Image: gFZ59We.jpg?1][Image: g8jauhM.jpg][Image: bc47gBY.jpg]

Claw from crawdad bass lure added to a grub body:
[Image: zAc1ZZe.jpg?1][Image: ULSz7t8.jpg][Image: DgO1xfH.jpg]

Different stick design wacky rigged on a light ball head jig head:
[Image: ViT6FQT.jpg?1][Image: a99dDGp.jpg]

Kalin Grub body and Yamamoto Kut Tail worm tail:
[Image: zB7hG2j.jpg][Image: 9vm3rYd.jpg][Image: WqLLzTn.jpg?1]
[Image: NrsR4p7.jpg]

Never liked the Crappy Magnet Grub body so I changed it to one that is thicker for better rigging and color combination:
[Image: zpwElac.jpg][Image: s6vDA3T.jpg][Image: tWQZgQc.jpg][Image: nWUD3Hz.jpg]

Shortened Slider Worm:
[Image: 65i6pix.jpg][Image: RQ5YNGd.jpg?1]

The old way before digital cameras:
[Image: DgBtuNd.jpg?2]

If you're like me you have tons of soft plastic lures stored that you never use. Now maybe you can.

Frank

02-19-2020, 03:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2020, 03:48 PM by SENKOSAM.)
RE: soft plastic hybrids
BTW, this forum has the best design for posting that I've ever seen !!! Hat's off to those that put the effort in !
Makes me want to continue posting.
02-19-2020, 10:22 PM,
Amazing what hungry fish will bite regardless of size, shape, or color.
02-19-2020, 11:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-20-2020, 09:54 AM by SENKOSAM.)
Can't wait to try some new designs I've come up with in the last few months.
02-20-2020, 12:18 PM,
Welcome to Jig Craft Senkosam, there is a lot of good information and history here... Now that is some interesting ingenuity... Keep um coming
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><
02-20-2020, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-20-2020, 01:12 PM by SENKOSAM.)
Thanks.
 I don't see anyone posting on any forum about coming up with Frankenstein baits. They don't know what they're missing.
I have over 100 molds made of plaster, aluminum and silicone and they're fine if I need the designs they produce. But fish strike so
many different designs, it got boring casting the same stuff. Besides, I'm not tempted to go out and buy from the latest catalog or
tackle shop from cabin fever. 

I did just ordered a mold that produces the same action as a Slider Worm so I don't have to copy it in a plaster mold. Not cheap
but it produces laser-cut aluminum quality baits I'll always carry like these:
[Image: 51QBxiZ.jpg?1][Image: LqJ8sUq.jpg][Image: aIzIzmn.jpg]
    ^ grub with glitter added via glue                   ^the one on the bottom is a hybrid of two cast lures.                   ^original 
02-22-2020, 06:49 PM,
Paddle tails are my choice for walleye, and faster moving straight tail stick baits for wiper.

Trouting today a simple orange rabbit fur red-orange head pearl Flashabou tied jig seriously outfished bait dunkers.