Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastics vs. Ties ?
01-13-2020, 12:58 PM,
RE: Plastics vs. Ties ?
I prefer using hair though I do switch to plastics when I fish our local spill way. With the large rocks used on the river bottom / sides from the damn extending aprox 300yrds downstream even the best jiggers will loose a few each trip. Loosing plastics bothers me less than a nicely tied bucktail.
Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.

Arlo Guthrie
01-14-2020, 10:20 AM,
Yup, gotta jig close to rock bottom for walleye, so in moving water losing an unpainted head and sale price plastic stings less.

Never tried and was wondering if glow heads and/or plastics can improve night walleye bites ?

For trout however switched from mostly Gulp minnows & leeches to 100% ties and catches have never been better.
02-21-2020, 11:45 AM,
Most lure designs work as long as they move a certain way, have a profile fish notice and will track that stay in the strike zone long enough.
02-21-2020, 01:19 PM,
Agreed, SS, tho I've always selected jigs of a size that will fit in target preys' mouths. Your posted catch pics certainly disproved that notion.
02-21-2020, 03:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2020, 07:13 AM by SENKOSAM.)
Quote:I've always selected jigs of a size that will fit in target preys' mouths. Your posted catch pics certainly disproved that notion.

Last year I started trolling crankbaits in different sizes and shapes and was surprised by what hit them:

[Image: LfR08F1.jpg][Image: nprNk62.jpg][Image: sfcgq4p.jpg][Image: 8TkAkNP.jpg][Image: l9af2sj.jpg]
[Image: 9vm3rYd.jpg][Image: L5kkqIa.jpg?1][Image: Q2vHa9w.jpg?1]

The bass on the left was a little bit longer than the Kut Tail hybrid as was the sunfish and bass below.

[Image: ezVIHVQ.jpg][Image: SRhbODl.jpg?1][Image: 2gmCC1l.jpg?1]

It has been suggested that small younger fish strike because they are naive and overly aggressive. Time and place come to mind as the most important reason
fish strike large lures - but not just any lure. Lure profile and action cancel out size when a lure moves at the right speed with the right action and with pauses. Color is another overrated factor anglers insist make all the difference. Maybe so using solid black or white, but not so much using the colors I posted that enhance the visual.
Here are a few lure actions that have proven provocative as long as the size in within a range: slither, flap, wobble, slink, flutter, dart with pauses, hop or slide on bottom, suspend & twitch, bob slightly under a float, bounce off objects and pause 1 second, slam off bottom and then float slowly upward (crankbaits) and some others I can't remember at the moment. Lure action speaks loudest ! & size is in the eye of the beholder.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tied jigs vs soft plastics SENKOSAM 0 92 02-21-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: SENKOSAM
  Boot tail plastics Hawnjigs 12 2,667 11-27-2018, 04:37 PM
Last Post: hookup