Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just one
10-23-2019, 09:30 AM,
RE: Just one
Interesting to hear about the gobys, they are certainly all over Lake Erie. They are considered an invasive species, but the smallmouth bass in Erie have really taken a liking to them. The combination of gobys and another invasive species, zebra mussels, have combined to clear up the water in Erie and give a new food source for the smallmouth making Erie now one of the top spots in the Nation for BIG smallmouth. If the walleye (or zander in your case) are feeding on them, would need to change tactics a little to baits hopped along the bottom. I don't think they venture too far up off the bottom. I have caught them fishing for panfish way up into the sheltered bays of the lake too. Lake Erie is going through a downswing right now for yellow perch fishing. The state DNR says there are still good numbers and size of perch.... but people are having a really tough time catching them. There is now another invasive in Erie, the spiny water flea, that they are saying could possibly be changing what the perch are eating and how they are schooling to feed.

I really do need to throw the spinner jigs i have made more often. I get hung up on the lures that have done me good in the past and forget to try and change things up.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
10-23-2019, 11:00 AM,
The amount of gobies was really concerning at first, particularly since they forage on other species`eggs and fry. Since more and more predators have developed a taste for them however the numbers have normalized now. I use mostly tip- ups and swingtails for my day fishing. Both are fairly easy to un-snag. I had 6 or 7 snags on the new steep bank today and didn`t loose one bait. I`m very fond of the brand new VMC 7236 for that purpose btw. Great hook. Not sure if I would buy one at almost 1$ in retail but it is a great hook.
10-23-2019, 09:18 PM,
Introduced non-native species that seem to over thrive always seem to get bad press. Our DNR front person was always extolling the negative impacts of gizzard shad and alewives in our reservoirs when I first started browsing the Nebraska fishing which I joined in 2011 but nowadays he sings praises of how these naturally thriving forage species maintain trophy walleye and wiper fisheries which attract MAJOR out of state $ from anglers.

Hahaha, looked up the VMC 7236 which appears to have hybridized the EWG, Sickle, and Barbarbian styles. Having used all styles of jig hooks (except the Barbarian) I'm of the opinion that certain basic key functional attributes are all thats needed - strength, sharpness, adequate point leg length, & proper line of pull penetration angle. Speaking of, Jon's mentioned est. 7# walleye dropped off being pulled up onto shore when the bronze jig hook bent out. Altho I've given him ample bulletproof jigheads he still insists on using his older inventory of off the rack painted heads with the purty colors and eyes.

Bucho, do you get more missed hooksets with swing hooks than traditional fixed hook jigheads ?
10-24-2019, 02:53 AM,
(10-23-2019, 09:18 PM)Hawnjigs Wrote: Bucho, do you get more missed hooksets with swing hooks than traditional fixed hook jigheads ?

No.

I have noticed almost exclusively out-side-in- hooksets with very small zander which grab the head without the hookpoint which I blame on the reset hook position. I miss a couple of weak bites which I blame on that - never a strong bite. Apart from that, the new Vmc gets me the best hookup rate ever, speaking of seatrout casting spoons which it was designed for. I often try to release trout by just slacking the line - not a chance with these! They stick like glue. Almost too efficient.  I generally emphasize hooks that swing toward the fish when it sucks the lure in. I find swinging hooks more efficient - given they have the right size.

If you feel otherwise, that might be due to smaller size? The hooks I use for the swingtails are even bigger than the fixed hooks.

[Image: 37066022pp.jpeg]
10-24-2019, 01:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2019, 11:48 AM by AtticaFish.)
Nice jobs guys
Keitech are great - add research innovations in 3.5" to your arsenal too
I finally got a chance to fish again.  Been to long

11-11-2019, 11:44 AM,
Can somebody PLEASE fix the oversize pic ? Looks like a beautiful fish in a likewise setting.