Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expat...
03-05-2019, 01:05 PM,
RE: Expat...
Much as I would LOVE to eat salmon (+ halibut & rockfish) more often, (southern) BC weather is kinda chilly & wet, albeit not severe. Not sure but salmon have very limited seasonal availability. " Vancouver is among the least affordable cities in which to live in Canada, with the highest housing prices in the country."

As for golden dorado size "The average size of the golden dorado is about 3–10 kg (6.6–22.0 lb). The largest recorded size is 1.3 m (51 in) in length and 34 kg (75 lb) in weight". Big enuf for yah, hookup ?

"Situated in the temperate zone of the tropic of Capricorn, Uruguay boasts warm summers (from December to February) and crisp winters (from June to August). The weather remains quite uniform from one region to another and there are no extremes of temperatures. The average temperature for the mid-winter month of July varies from 54 °F to 48 °F while the midsummer month of January varies from 79 °F to 72 °F."
03-07-2019, 08:09 PM,
(03-05-2019, 01:05 PM)Hawnjigs Wrote:  Big enuf for yah, hookup ?
Not saying it wasn't a nice fish
03-08-2019, 02:49 AM,
Had a closer look at that country on Wiki and must say it looks quite pleasant indeed. Decent government, lots of water, relatively safe and a sufficient yet surprisingly affordable health care system.
03-08-2019, 06:28 PM,
Yup, and Uruguay has an extensive sandy beach coastline tho the water remains chilly all year.  Bolivia actually has better golden dorado fishing but "60.1% of the population live in poverty and 37.7% in extreme poverty" so "Bolivia is a country where traveling after dark is particularly dangerous".

But the fishing,  OMG !!!

03-09-2019, 09:09 AM,
I live only 20km from the Schwentine river that holds +100lbs Wels catfish. It only takes a week to catch one if you know what you`re doing, i.o.w. bring a few years of experience and renomee in the wels angling community. Down south they have hucho, a fish very similar in size and apearance to that elusive dorado. It only takes a winter to catch one, given you are willing to afford a 4 digit license fee and dozens of snagged lures. If I combine that with a few million very poor people unafraid to use nets, snag lines, poison etc. and the reputation of the south american law enforcement community.... I once been to Bulgaria and again, my travel guide said she was into fishing but never went for it because her countrymen had devastated the stocks in fresh water.

What makes you thing you can just go out and catch one like you do going after stocked wipers? My guess is that it will take a very unaffordable, rather unpleasant trip into very remote areas with a guide and everything.
03-09-2019, 03:26 PM,
Altho I've NEVER "paid for it" would definitely consider spending for a once in a lifetime experience. 30-40# jumping GDs in a shallow stream narrow enuf to cast to the other side, or off a calm water sandy beach, yup, think I may go for it.

There's a big difference between crowd accessible spots and off the beaten path wilderness.
03-10-2019, 12:39 PM,
Speaking of paying for it, know a guy that lost a fortune in Uruguay in the brothels
Keeps you busy when you're not fish'n
03-10-2019, 05:11 PM,
are they that good?
03-10-2019, 06:52 PM,
They must have been for him to loose a fortune