Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Heads ?
01-18-2019, 01:33 PM,
Red Heads ?
Never been much for colors as plain black & white jigs have been satisfactorily successful trouting here in NE and previously in CO & WY.  I THINK my skills, jigs, and presentation have improved, certainly my confidence, but it seems catches are going downhill.  In the past, red paint heads + white ties have worked OK, but not enuf to replace black or unpainted heads.  Recently tho as mentioned in previous post, painting some long mothballed unpainted head 1/16 pink tie jigs with Sally bright red NP has gotten noteworthy catches in a tuff bite.  Like yesterday, got ZERO bites over a few hours at many spots along my favored trout canal on a go-to search 1/10 HU with shiny unpainted head, nickel #1 prop, pearl 2" Ripple Shad on #2 Ultra Point hook.  Switching to the RED head 1/16 #6 Sickle pink jig got my only decent 17" of the day, + a few dinks 12" & under.

So, has anyone else had exceptional results with red heads, not only for trout ?
01-18-2019, 04:26 PM,
RE: Red Heads ?
Fluorescent red tying thread collar is my signature feature. I strongly believe in such a dot of hot orange. I have just traded a pack of jig heads for a bunch of dropper flies wiht extra large fluo pink eyes - the only thing that worked trolling cranks in very cold februar waters couple years ago.

I find it hard to judge on this topic since I hardly ever fish anything without at least a dot of red, and be it only the eyes.

[Image: 34866627uw.jpg]
01-19-2019, 09:25 AM,
In addition to the millions of highly successful early red headed(or collared) jig patterns of Upperman, Doll,Bassbuster, etc. , renowned jig tier Paul Jensen, with 60 years experience, matter-of-factly states this on his colorful website "Jensen's jigs" - "If I had to fish the rest of my life with one lure, it would have to be a red-white Bucky!"
01-20-2019, 01:24 PM,
Last year, I did up a small batch of jigs, from 1/32nd down to 1/80th.  Painted the heads with Ruby Slipper.  Tied on a small sparse tail of White Arctic Fox and maybe some UV Midge Flash.  Tied on a collar of metallic red embroidery floss.  I caught a few different species, from 'Gills to Crappie, and even a few small LMB's.  Those were fished under a float, in shallow water over weeds.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!

Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
02-03-2019, 11:28 AM,
After losing my recently discovered successful 1/16 #6 red head pink rabbit fur jig on a snag, it being about quitting time decided to go big or go home and tied on a max trout size 1/10 #2 bright orange head (mfg. designated red I think?) with a bright borderline pink-red rabbit tie and surprisingly a 30# carp bit it. Man that was a long hard tussle following the fish upcurrent and having to keep it out of rebar infested rocik riprap wings on the opposite bank. Bout the same size as the previously mentioned chunkie on 8# Nanofil but this one was landed with trout gear 6# Nano.
02-03-2019, 02:49 PM,
I like ruby slipper powder paint...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><
02-04-2019, 01:51 PM,
Looked up ruby slipper PP mentioned twice by members, and the darker red tending towards burgundy (?) looks very close to my Sally red + clear diamonds NP job. Altho the red base coat is on the bright side, the top coat significantly darkens it, maybe because the Sally clear diamonds is old enuf to have an ocher hue.
03-17-2019, 02:27 AM,
Lost all my red head 1/16 #6 Sickle Lil' Pinkies to snag breaks & bend outs, so Thursday night tied up ONE red head 1/16 stronger #6 2x plain gray mink jig and pushed beyond my previous limit trekking 2+ miles of ruff country river bank yesterday Friday. Most previously productive holds were completely empty but the same jig lucked out with three bites all landed. Unusually large specimens at 7, 8, & pushing 10# made for an EPIC session, tho the trek back at age 70 was exhausting. The biggest may have been closer to 9# but gave it the honor of "10" due to an unusually spirited long duration fight.

Definitely something trout attractive about red heads.
03-17-2019, 02:39 AM,
You pull 10# trout out of an untouched stream on light tackle and consider expatriation? What`s the matter with you?

Just kidding, congrats to your epic session!
03-17-2019, 05:33 PM,
I'm gonna go back this week to a lake that I'm more familiar with... I'm gettin hangry for some crappie!
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><