Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Health Care
09-14-2018, 10:01 PM,
Tongue  Health Care
Think $104 gets deducted from my Social Security for Medicare and what I consider a high deductible supplement policy cost another $110 so think I may be better off than many.  I'm wondering how much others pay monthly for health coverage?

Researching found the following:
"In 2015, the Kaiser Family Foundation found that medical bills made 1 million adults declare bankruptcy. Its survey found that 26 percent of Americans age 18-64 struggled to pay medical bills. According to the U.S. Census, that's 52 million adults."

"Cigna CEO David Cordani made $43.9 million in 2017, according to a federal securities filing.'

Solution?

Single payer Medicare for all cost:
"Kenneth Thorpe, a professor of health policy and management at Emory University, put the cost at $2.4 trillion a year. A team from the Urban Institute put the number at $2.5 trillion a year. The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget projected $2.8 trillion a year."

We're already spending:
"U.S. health care spending increased 4.3 percent to reach $3.3 trillion, or $10,348 per person in 2016." (cms.gov) 

"Under single-payer, people would no longer have to pay for insurance," said Christine Eibner, a senior economist at the RAND Corp. "So even if it required new federal spending and commensurate tax increases, people would not necessarily be paying more for health care."
"Even as federal expenditures for health care rise under a single-payer system, the expenditures by individuals and companies would fall, potentially canceling each other out."