Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot tail plastics
08-02-2018, 12:14 PM,
Boot tail plastics
Since switching to Gulp! never used em because the Gulp! latex (?) material is prone to permanent package memory which means the tails end up pretty much any which shape EXCEPT the planned straight perpendicular to the body.

However, JiggerJohn suggested a lift drop retrieve for finicky wipers best served by wedge tails which vibrate on a drop rather than my usual tiny fork stick tails of the Gulp! Minnows so I got a few embedded head chartreuse shad 3" Power Bait Pogies from Walmart and they indeed got bit.  Since then I've alternated them with my usual 3" Gulp! Minnows on a jighead with good results, switching between them when the bite slows.  Downside is that the 3" Power Pogy #1 hook seems too small for larger wipers and I got a lot of drop offs recently during a big wiper bite, so currently shopping for Power Bait Pro Shads in 2-1/2" & 3-1/2" sizes to attach onto larger hook jig heads.

So, anyone else like em?  Or not?
08-02-2018, 02:39 PM,
RE: Boot tail plastics
I have used a few different brands of them and they definitely do the trick on some days. However....... i don't really care for the Berkley style. The tails on those ones and some other off brands i have used are fairly skinny and just don't seem to kick as much as others. Especially at slow retrieve speeds. Those pogies just do the shimmy and i would think that is all you will get on the fall from them.

Now on the other hand..... the Kalins and Keitech brands have a completely different shaped boot and they kick so much that they actually cause the body of the bait to waggle opposite of the tail. They do the same thing even at slow speeds and on the fall. Strike King Rage Tail is another good one. If you are wanting a smaller size though, not all brands have the good boots in the smaller sizes. Keitech has 2 different styles also. The Swing Impact has a skinny body, think shiner shape. The Fat Swing Impact has a beefed up belly that reminds me of a tadpole shape. They both have the same boot though and kick really good.

What color of the Berkley ones did you have success with? Last time i was at my local Walmart, i did notice they had some Kalins products.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
08-03-2018, 09:14 AM,
RE: Boot tail plastics
Only tried the 3" chartreuse shad - got em cuz Wally has a VERY poor selection of booties and the Power Baits were the cheaper of 2. Other colors looked good too but the troos works so why fix what ain't broke? $2.96 for 5 seemed a good deal and they hold up for multiple wiper fights.

Good advice on other brands with better actions, but the PBs are getting bit fine right now, maybe the scent makes a difference?