Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Trout Jigs / Lures?
10-09-2018, 08:44 PM,
RE: Favorite Trout Jigs / Lures?
Custom one of a kind.
10-13-2018, 01:13 PM,
Only weighed the 26 incher and it wasn't a football fish. Weighed 6.5 lbs. Summertime fish are usually on the thin side. I've seen shorter fish weigh over 10 at Lake Taneycomo here in Missouri. Don't know how accurate the scale was since it was a friends scale. Fishing one of Missouri trout parks which get stocked daily the trout are smaller as the season goes on. Season runs from March 1 to October 31. They do have a c&r season and that's the best time for the big ones since a lot of the fish leave the river and up to the spring branch since it's warmer than the river during the winter months.
10-13-2018, 10:26 PM,
6-1/2# is a CHUNK of a trout. Amazing that what sounds like pressured public water should have trophy size fish like that. What jigs are working for you?

My bud Jon & I have been exploring off the beaten path climibing up and down 20' steep banks with annoying stickers at the top fringe. In the past 10 days never saw another fisher person and we're getting a satisfying amount ot 16"+ rippers with an occasional 8#+ keeping it interesting.

The trout seem to bite most anything, in fact Jon's biggest 2 chunks today bit 2 different bright color chenille crappie jigs & tho landed both bent out the hooks. I've got a new favorite trout plastic - 2" Power Bait Ripple Shad which accounted for most of my trout since I started using them yesterday. With the PB head trimmed off, the 1-3/4" tail remainder is an ideal fit on a #2 NPBN hook HU jig head.
10-15-2018, 08:47 PM,
10 trout today 16"+ & best jig was 1/16 ball head Boolie - gold #0 prop #6 Sickle hook dark brown short mink over gold Flashabou undertie tail. Downsize version of the pictured BooHU. Back to basics.
10-18-2018, 09:50 AM,
Apparently trout aren't dummies and can recognize a lure that recently stung em and created a fight commotion. So, 2 days later returned to the area mentioned in the last post and the mentioned 1/16 #6 Sickle hook Boolie got ignored! Luckily, I was prepared with a totally different look, a twice the size 3" flat black Gulp Leech on a plain #2 hook 1/16 ball head. Ended up with 4 on that rig 2 of which were chunks estimated at 7 & 8#. Or who knows, in the excitement of the moment maybe I'm being generous with sight weighing but they were still an EZ 6 & 7#.

So, I'm learning by experience maybe there is no favorite trout jig for all occasions, maybe adapting to the situation having several alternatives may be key for optimal success. During the past 2 weeks "favorite trout jigs" of the day included 1/14 #4 white BooHU, 1/14 #2 BooHU head with 2" Power Bait Ripple Shad, 1/16 #6 dark color Boolie, and 3" Gulp Leech on a plain 1/16 #2 ball head. Today I'll return with another new look, a 2-1/2" pearl Gulp Minnow on a plain 1/15 #2 HU head.
10-19-2018, 08:45 AM,
I've been using one particular jig combination this year that's been a killer for everything, including trout. This green color that I mixed myself catches fish everywhere I go. Fished the trout park for two days during the summer and caught 18 the first day using my go to colors. Tied a green head on the second day which had been working at local lakes for gills, redear, catfish and bass. Incredible day, probably caught close to 40 trout in just 3 hours. Some people were actually complaining about me sore lipping all the fish. 1/48 custom chub and 1/24 ballhead for when I want to go deeper, with a #10 Lil nasty hook. sculpin olive grizzly marabou and scented chenille that I dip in Spike it Crawlic formula worm dye. I really think the scent makes a huge difference.    
10-20-2018, 08:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2018, 08:43 AM by Hawnjigs.)
You gotta wonder why trout (and other species) would consider a green color not found in nature motivating bite response.  My bud Jon's best big trout getter has been a crazy bou tail orange chenille GREEN head 1/16 crappie jig.  My last (short) session before a sandstorm blew me away the only jig that would stick (3) trout was the previously mentioned 3" Gulp black leech on a 1/16 #2 ball head, previously effective smaller tied jigs only got missed bumps.

Maybe scent DOES matter, considering Crawlic and Gulp results ?  Amazing the effective jig size difference in different areas,  mine 3" and JJ1's barely over 1".
10-21-2018, 04:09 AM,
(10-19-2018, 08:45 AM)JUNGLEJIM1 Wrote: I've been using one particular jig combination this year that's been a killer for everything, including trout. This green color that I mixed myself catches fish everywhere I go.

Thanks for sharing! That green looks... unusual. Is it fluoresent? I use a "signature" fluo red thread for all my ties, mainly because one of my favorite sea trout streamers featured it and I beliefe in a dot of fluorescense no matter what.
10-21-2018, 08:37 AM,
The green wasn't fluorescent when I got it but it is now with the additives I mixed in with it. I add UV Blast to almost all my non fluorescent paints and with the green I added some chartreuse as well. There is something fluorescent in all my ties as well and red thread is one of my favorites. I keep a flashlight that shows fluorescent color handy at my desk and I'm always checking colors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Jig pattern for small stream rainbows? AndyLane 11 3,019 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Last Post: jiggerjohn
  River Trout Jigs - WY Hawnjigs 9 2,392 10-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Last Post: bombora
  Using jigs for stream trout fishing Palad 18 5,606 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Fatman