Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CATFISH
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM,
CATFISH
I was really surprised when I came to this (forum(?) fish), and seen that Catfish were lumped in with "other fish"Huh. Yet Whitebass have their own thread, those "huge 3, maybe 4 pounders. Yet what I consider, I'm sure there are others, who consider Catfish a worthy and significant member of the sport fish family, considering they weigh in in any where from the 30 to 100lb plus rangeWink.
I realize I'm " new guy", but I just feel Catfish are ignored as compared to other species. I'm off the soap box, thanks for reading.
Is there life after death? More importantly, is there Catfishing?
02-14-2011, 10:52 PM,
RE: CATFISH
Totally agree - the Rodney Dangerfield - of fishdom
02-15-2011, 12:15 AM,
Can the big uns be targeted on jigs?
02-15-2011, 02:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2011, 02:48 AM by catfishfever.)
(02-15-2011, 12:15 AM)Hawnjigs Wrote: Can the big uns be targeted on jigs?

They sure can. In the winter we use jigs(3/4oz) with cut bait (Milford Lake, Ks) with a little chunk of cut bait, deep water, just under the schools of shad(when it ain't froze, like it is nowAngry).
Quite a few of the guy's I know will fish the riprap (dam and causeway) in the spring with a jig under a float, and catch some nice Flatheads.

I'd like to add, I didn't mean to sound like I was cutting down the Whitebass, great little fighters. I just feel Catfish are'nt appreciated enough as a sport fish. I think we deserve a species thread too!
02-15-2011, 03:09 AM,
Matter of fact Hawn I got a buddy in New Mexico plans on doing just that . I tied up 2 of those you sent me for him. Don't be surprised if I jump up and order a bunch of heads.
Toad Frog Baits a nonprofit hobby . Dedicated to spending money when I shouldn't
Fish Forever Work Whenever ! The worst day fishing is better than the best day working.
02-15-2011, 01:05 PM,
CFF - I think we could seperate the cats into their own section... give me a few days... Wink You are correct in the fact that cats do not get the recognition they deserve sometimes - they are fun to catch!

As far as targeting them... I do have 1 lake i go to several times a year specificly to catch channel cats for the smoker. The fish i am looking to take home are anything under 20" or so, they just taste better IMO. I have tight-line bottom fished it with shrimp and usually find the larger fish keep tighter to the bottom. To shoot for the 'eater' size fish, i use a 1/8th oz. jig with half a night crawler (or leech) under a slipfloat, usually set down about 15' for this lake. The combo of the heavy head/slip float makes for good distance casting. Once the bait is down, i just very slowly reel in. I also catch them occasionaly at this lake when trolling/drifting for crappie with tied minnow pattern baits.

For river fishing, i have found that spinners - clip on beetle spin type - and darker colors improve my chances with catfish on artifical bait. My focus in the river is for the smallmouth but it is always fun to hook into a healthy cat on the light-weight gear!
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2011, 10:52 PM by Radtexan.)
(02-15-2011, 12:15 AM)Hawnjigs Wrote: Can the big uns be targeted on jigs?

Ive never caught a big one on jigs,but we do catch lots of good ones chasing crappie with jigs.Mainly channel and yellows..Witnesed up to 20# on a 1/8 th oz jig,and have friends caught them in the 30 # range..

My biggest on a jig 14 #
[Image: 11-13001.jpg]

I might have shared this pic before,but two springs ago we were chasing some walleys with small crank baits,and light test equipment when this ole girl paid me a visit......[Image: herekitty001-1.jpg]
"Only death will end my love affair with Texas." Bob Bullock
02-15-2011, 10:15 PM,
good eats right there
02-15-2011, 10:15 PM,
good eats right there
02-15-2011, 10:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2011, 10:50 PM by catfishfever.)
Atticfish, thanks. It would sure be great to have a personal thread for "our" fish, mine any way.
Let a couple friends of mine in on your place, they said they'd come check you out. I let'em know it's a great place to visit at least.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  catfish on lures scrubs 17 8,749 10-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Hawnjigs
Information A Kansas Catfish Story ! Radtexan 4 2,805 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Last Post: StumpHunter
  Jigging for Catfish Hawnjigs 8 3,298 03-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Last Post: jiggerjohn