Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do-it Flutter JIG
10-31-2017, 11:40 AM,
RE: Do-it Flutter JIG
Thanks for the Mustad info!

Thats the record of cutters I have managed to break off. I try to cut the sprue at an angle and leave enough material. It works in a way but is very hard on the cutter tips. One is a clean cutting but sensible sprue cutter from Barlows, the other two are rock solid pro tool shop merchandise. I admit I mix in 3-5% antimon though, my tin is pretty hard. Used a wild mix of hard and soft tin to be more exactly, just had a call with my metal dealer about purchasing antimon, soft lead and pure tin seperately so I can calibrate better. No need for too much hardness in a slab.
10-31-2017, 11:41 AM,
Bought one new from Barlows and modified it to fit the Mustad 91768BLN

Then since I didn't use the 3/8oz slot, filled it 1/2 way w/ JB Weld to make a 3/16th oz - great on the rocky snaggy rivers I fish. Typically kiss the rocks with soft plastics chasing smallies

Then found another for cheap at a flea market so bought it.
10-31-2017, 12:10 PM,
The Mustad 91768 is too much hook for my dinky fish. Canal smallies top out at 18", and that only after 5 years of drain dry recovery, which actually started yesterday.

Haven't seen em yet, but the 92611 looks about right for smaller mouth wipers, and maybe salty jacks if I ever visit my islands again.
10-31-2017, 12:28 PM,
Bucho, did you ever try alloying bismuth into tin as a hardener? 1% makes a noticeable difference hardening spike barb collars, but difficult to get consistent fill out in a Cabela's Wobble Jig mold. Does antimony affect the pouring quality of pure tin?

I once tried alloying pure antimony with lead-tin making X-hard yet pourable for example Lyman #2 90pb-5sn-5sb but it wasn't worth the effort and expense. Required high melt temps resulting in excessive slag waste.
10-31-2017, 06:02 PM,
Never tried that. Got a 20lbs minimum wholesale order still lying around, thanks for the info. "Wismuth AG" was the cover name of the sowjet-east German uranium mining corporation, and the name still sticks. Learned the hard way that most folks here rather use lead no matter what you tell them. 1% won´t make a difference though.

Not really sure about the pouring quality since I never knew for sure the exact content. We will see now. I sometimes did have unexpected trouble, will keep an eye on it.
11-06-2017, 07:58 PM,
Got the 92611 #2 and 1/0 today, and disappointed that they have significantly side offset points. They can be bent back to center, & along with having to shank bend to fit the Swim Jig mold, too much time & effort for commercial production. Hooks are fairly strong, forged, and points are mediocre Mustad Classic tho not exactly dull. #2 doesn't fit any size, 1/0 seems good for 1/4 oz. Tho I haven't got any yet, think #4 MIGHT fit the 1/8 and 2/0 the 3/8.

Whats the best way to modify the hook eye slot for turned eyes?
11-07-2017, 03:26 AM,
If you can live with a little side offset, these might be something for you. At least they are sharp. #4 would probably be more appropriate for the 1/8 but these I had at hand. Used them for wobble flies with good results.

[Image: 30881366ez.jpg]
11-07-2017, 12:42 PM,
The Gami hook not suprisingly looks perfect for an undressed version, but no, don't like offset points in a fixed hook lure. Neither Google nor the Gamakatsu website search showed that hook model, maybe only available outside the USA. The Mustad 92611 is mediocre Classic quality, but functional enuf for normal size targets with a point hone. That shiny textured tin looks like a best possible attractive yet non-alarming mimic of a scaled silvery baitfish.
11-16-2017, 04:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2017, 04:38 PM by Bucho.)
[Image: 30969081vh.jpg]
Saw these in a shop today. When I started fumbling around with them, I remembered I once bought .... the exact same package, plus a #2. They are too big for the small cavity, a 4 should fit. Nice hook, reasonably sharp, strong, stainless.
11-16-2017, 06:10 PM,
Thanks Bucho, those look like best available.