Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lead and pricing
03-11-2017, 07:44 PM,
RE: lead and pricing
If you happen to melt zinc in with your soft lead you cannot just skim it off,I happened upon a site called "cast boolits" its about casting all sizes of bullet heads.Its a very informative site on the different types of lead available.Scroll down to the heading "lead and lead alloys.
03-11-2017, 07:51 PM,
Thanks kdog this is the answer i was in search of,wondering if these places such as rotometals had the rep,I'm not afraid to spend the money if I know I'll only be skiming a little here and there,thanks,I know many places to get scrap just wanting the real deal and money isn't the issue it's quality I want
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes,Art is knowing which ones to keep....
03-12-2017, 02:21 PM,
Like GP said you can't just skim it off. I once had a small amount mess up a 10 lb batch of bullet alloy and it took me several hr's (days) to get it cleaned up to where I could semi use it. It will mix with the lead and turn it into an un-pourable mess with a bottom pour pot and even a ladle. You'll be pouring just fine and all of a sudden the flow will slow down like thick molasses and then stop. Molds won't fill, you get wrinkles in your castings and it's no fun at all. Even if you crank up the heat it'll barely flow and still won't fill out properly. I did manage to salvage some of the melt by letting it solidify and then slowly reheating it several times to melt just the lead but lost much of my tin and antimony in the process. Had once gotten some Babbitt material that thought would work great except that it also contained aluminum. Couldn't tell at first but once it was melted and poured into ingots you could tell there was something else with it as it looked like 40% sand. I did get some nice tin out of it though but it was a real PITA separating it at first.
03-12-2017, 02:45 PM,
Purifying lead, removing contaminates and alloying elements tin, zinc and antimony is not as simple as it sounds. Also, alloyed lead for some reason melts at a slightly lower temperature. However, for those who really want to read up on cleaning lead, hee is an interesting link... http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/030...-0304.html
Wishing all, Tight Lines and Bent wriggling rods!
KDog!
03-12-2017, 03:04 PM,
Having said that, for most of our needs most lead, simply melted down, fluxed stirred and refluxed will work well. sure your weight may be off a tad, but rarely will jigs come out exactly the weight as stamped on the mold. too many variables for our hand processes. IMO the best flow will come from pure zinc which is priced in the ozone. Zinc is added to lead lead to improve alloying as well as flow. Antimony and copper act as hardening agents with the most popular being antimony. Nut all must be presnt to properly alloy lead. Unfortunately, removing them is not a simple process. About the best we can hope for when using scrap it to remove all the oxides present in the molten metal. Zinc will evaporate from the molten bath if its hot enough, but leaves ozides, copper and antimony will usually remain antimony if you can get it unalloyed will be grainy and with enough stirring finally float. copper also, problem with copper is getting it hotenough to release the copper. Even worse is testing to find out how pure your lead is. A good spectrographic lab is going to charge 50 dollars or more to test a single sample. If you are getting good castings go forward. Not getting good castings, adjust temp, try mold releases agents such as drop out, baby powder or graphite powder. All work and different molds like different products.

The only concern I have is getting well filled castings, all else is not worth my time.
Wishing all, Tight Lines and Bent wriggling rods!
KDog!
03-12-2017, 03:57 PM,
That's why I'm glad it's just a hobby.
03-12-2017, 11:26 PM,
bucktail - sent you a pm
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  soft lead or hard lead???? saskcat420 3 1,277 05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Last Post: SaltyBuckster