Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night Zander Jig
11-08-2017, 09:04 AM,
RE: Night Zander Jig
This new color is the bomb! Friday only two fish but since my fishing buddy and everybody else in sight blanked it wasn`t the best bite to begin with I assume. Yesterday 60, 62 and 71 cm (24-28") within 20 min. Later in the evening a barely legal one and a failed hookset on an accidentally bluntened hookpoint.

My fishing buddy, a far more experienced VMC team angler who had a bunch of new high end crankbait samples to test, got only one bite around 60cm.

[Image: 30890607ty.jpg]

[Image: 30890608sq.jpg]

I tried to make a film with an action cam around my chest. Unfortunately, the headlamp alone was too weak for filming but at the same time too irritating to the fish. I got two good fish within a few casts, tryed for 10min with light on, switched it off again and got the 28"er with the very next cast.
11-08-2017, 06:02 PM,
You are killing them, that last one is a beautiful fish. I need to find some larger under spin heads like that to play with.

I have been out myself chasing the walleye after dark also. It is that time of year. All smaller fish so far (17"-22") but have seen some larger fish cruising the shore in the last few trips. So far, 5 keeper fish for the fall season along with a several throw backs.... happily filling the void in my freezer. I have gotten a few on big bodied hair jigs but most have been coming on 4" to 5" plastic swimbaits on light heads. Last trip out I caught 4 fish and each one was caught on a different lure. 1/hairjig, 1/swimbait, 1/shallow crankbait, 1/deep crankbait They are all over the water column right now.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
11-09-2017, 03:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 03:38 AM by Bucho.)
Thanks! The freezer is filling, all the fish seem to bite in november this year. Just had a good fill of flatfish, my favorite,  on monday... I only harvest 1-2 medium sized fish any more.  Felt good to let that one go.

With all the fishing pressure in your area it sure can´t hurt to offer a hairbait for a change. I wouldn´t go without a stinger though. Its really weird how they inhale the jig on daylight but sometimes just barely touch it at night.

If you have a pattern that works in the upper water column, I would be very intersted to see it.
11-09-2017, 03:02 PM,
Great jigs and awesome catches. T-up
Save
11-09-2017, 06:00 PM,
Most of my patterns for walleye are fat and fluffy combinations of craft fur, rabbit zonkers and cotton batting to fill them out. I mostly fish them as bottom scrapers trying to keep occasional contact with the bottom. Tend to use those a lot more often when there is a big bright moon. I think that pushes them down deeper with the bright moon. If the fish are high up in the water, i tend to throw more shallow diving suspending crankbaits. Rapala and Smithwick brands.

I do like your idea with those spinners. I made something similar but had to attach a spinner arm to a jig hook shank. Those bigger ponyhead/horsehead styles would make things much easier.

I will be re-stocking my box soon so hopefully have some pictures to post.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
11-11-2017, 12:24 PM,
Can`t wait!

You wrote earlier that the bigger wallies seem to stay a bit deeper. I`m not under that impression with zander, but darker lures that cast their silhouette deeper into the water seem to get me bigger fisch.

You or somebody else also wrote that the bite goes on until ice builds up. Last season was my first, so i fished enthusiatically into the winter and noticed a sharp drop in bites around mid december. Can´t put my finger on a certain temperatur or so, it just switched from 3 fish per 1 angler to the opposoite, 3 blokes fishing all evening getting only 1 fish, and remained like that until end of season (march).

Daylight fishing also slowed down a bit with falling temperatures but by far not as significantly as the night bite. Now I wonder if we made a mistake limiting our night fishing to the upper part of the water column...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tied a few Scrounger Jigs last night. QPassage 3 452 11-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Last Post: QPassage
  Goofing off on a Friday night! quivira kid 18 851 12-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Fatman
  A pink jig I did last night AllenOK 5 766 11-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Last Post: moswampy
  A Few From Last night SlabHappy 8 731 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Last Post: StumpHunter
  Tryed some wool last night justcameslabdaddy 6 652 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Last Post: StumpHunter