Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night Zander Jig
11-22-2016, 11:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2016, 12:56 PM by Hawnjigs.)
RE: Night Zander Jig
Maybe because of the intense angler pressure in the upper water column, I caught my fair share with jigs near bottom during last years Spring crank bite.  Unfortunately, this Spring most wallys apparently departed their spawn areas early which of course killed the post spawn bite, & neither cranks nor jigs were getting any.

In other words, I've noticed that active fish may be present at all depths despite the appearance of surface feeding.
11-23-2016, 06:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2016, 06:38 PM by Bucho.)
Bite has slowed considerably. Got skunked on monday, today only one bite. Changed cranks and jigs back and forth, even brought a friend who got nothing with cranks. With only one bite I don´t want to jump into conclusions, but I think this might work: I poored on an articulated fly shank and fixed a trebele where I supposed it had the best chance to land in the fishes mouoth.

Hawnjigs I am fully aware that the bottom holds fish but pressure on the surface is low and bottem scraping produces a lot of snags, which gives mass produced plastics an edge over hand crafted, price intensive hair jigs. Hence my special interest in the surface bite.

[Image: 27519792ju.jpg]

[Image: 27519793pa.jpg]
11-23-2016, 09:45 PM,
Oh WOW!  Those look amazing.  I am sold!  What style spinner is that?  Looks wider than a standard willow maybe?  

I have only landed 5 walleye this fall, but i think every one has been caught on a jig or crank that has blue in it.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
11-24-2016, 04:44 AM,
Thanks! Thats a regular 3.5 willow blade. Its maxed out in proportion to the jig and the pearl foil is only roughly in shape, which might shift the prerception a little bit. I had to bend the wire back up at one point in order to maintain enough distance to the material. Its really large in compare, but I rather have a large willow than a small colorado which stands off in a steeper angle and requires even more distance to the material. The torque will make the light head lie flat or even keel over at higher water speeds, but thats not what the jig is intended for.  

Its a relatively quick tie for a large pattern and an easy fix for a major problem of mine: I can´t sell high-prized jigs to folks scraping rocky canal embankments that, if fished in the right way, will spoil hookpoints in a matter of a few casts. This way, the hook can be replaced, either with a treble or a single according to regulations and fear of snags.
11-24-2016, 11:34 AM,
That articulated fly shank is NICE!  You may have found a marketable short strike jig option.  Congratulations!

Since my (formerly) treasured trophy walleye spot is a quarried boulder tumble dam,  I used the countdown method and lots of retrieve practice to stay above but close to bottom back up the angled rock face.  Lightest practical 1/10 - 1/8 oz jigs and maybe #2 hooks helped snag avoidance.  May be just wishful thinking but I noticed sometimes the deep wallys were bigger than the crank depth ones.

I'm surprised that carrying pocket hook sharpeners isn't mainstream advice.  I used to straighten hook folds with my de-hooking forceps, but finally wised up this year and carry the smallest pen style grooved Eze Lap which does a way better job of point fixing.
11-24-2016, 02:06 PM,
Very nice articulation on that jig! Some years ago I used to TROLL Lake Erie breaklines, above boulder fields with a jig somewhat shaped like yours (the bottom extension acted as a keel) fitted with a regular jig hook. Got lots of strikes from white bass, smallmouth & channel cats, but missed what I suspected were walleyes. I tied on a small no 8 or 10 treble as a stinger, and LIMITS of walleyes were had thereafter almost every trip out! This new one of yours will make a lot of your customers very happy with results!
11-24-2016, 09:24 PM,
I saw the walleye & jerk bait and if they're coming up to the top, a multi-colored sparkling rainbow style jerk bait would work. Get a little chartreuse or yellow in the sparkly of the jerk and you got money
11-25-2016, 12:42 PM,
Looks great, gives me another idea to play with the next time I pour.
11-25-2016, 03:14 PM,
That's what I was thinking about with a longer hook shank but I like your idea better! Sort of like an forward weight spinner with a skirt.
11-29-2016, 04:39 AM,
3 legal size fish sunday, 3 yesterday all around 23", only one of them lost. Now I´m sold, too.

[Image: 27568338sc.jpg]

[Image: 27568412zp.jpg][/quote]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 For The Night AtticaFish 20 1,937 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Last Post: AllenOK
  Tied a few Scrounger Jigs last night. QPassage 3 1,060 11-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Last Post: QPassage
  Goofing off on a Friday night! quivira kid 18 1,849 12-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Fatman
  A pink jig I did last night AllenOK 5 1,625 11-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Last Post: moswampy