Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cross another off the species list!
05-26-2016, 09:00 AM,
Cross another off the species list!
Got cut out from work a little early last night.  I was kind of expecting it.  I was prepared  Smile , had my map book of this part of the state, and headed out to check out a spot I hadn't been to in over 10 years.  Never fished it before, so I didn't know what to expect.  I was hoping for Smallies, but all I caught were some Rock Bass.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!

Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
05-26-2016, 11:35 AM,
RE: Cross another off the species list!
They are fun to catch!! and they're good eating too.
05-26-2016, 03:05 PM,
geez how many edible (!) species of fish do you people have over there?!
05-26-2016, 03:25 PM,
All of them. Big Grin It just depends on your tastes. I'm sure someone has a list somewhere.
05-26-2016, 04:20 PM,
We call them gogle eyes or peckerheads

Fun to catch though. Explosive bite, then reel in

These fish run in schools, so where there's one, there's more
05-27-2016, 10:52 AM,
Looks like all your contraptions are working.
05-27-2016, 11:47 AM,
AllenOK - You are checking off the species on cooler water norther fish list in a hurry. Come fall and winter you can start getting trout up your way too. Rockbass can be fun but are know for having eyes bigger than their stomach. I catch them pretty frequently walleye fishing with 5" long swimbaits or stick baits. They thump it and make me think it is a walleye.... set the hook HARD and then only have the weight of a little guy.

Bucho - We do have a variety of good eating fish over here but also many more that people try to convince me are good. Rockbass are very good to eat when you get them large enough to clean. I have eaten smoked carp ...once... and not even a smoke bath can help them. There are a few who talk about eating sheephead (freshwater drum) as a 'poor mans lobster'. Claim you can boil the meat and then dip it in butter. As ugly as drum are, i have stayed clear of them. They sure are fun to catch though.
JigCraft.com : Co-Founder
05-27-2016, 01:19 PM,
Bucho, Attic nailed it... There ways to prepare most fish to make them digestible. But Crappie and walleye are at the top of the list for taste! IMO
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><
06-08-2018, 11:16 AM,
Goggle eye here. They will eat anything that will fit in their mouth and like my Yorky, it has a big one. Bluegill tacos are are there with crappie and walleye with me.
06-08-2018, 06:48 PM,
according to Ohio DNR,  here is a link to all sport fish in ohio waters,,, cant say I caught 1 of each species but have caught a fair number

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-...index/fish
Wishing all, Tight Lines and Bent wriggling rods!
KDog!